Nursing Schools by State
Nursing Career Info
Demand for Nurses
Nurses may be the most in-demand health care position in the country.
Featured Sponsored Program
BS - Nursing: General
Advance as a nurse leader, educator, informaticist, or practitioner with Walden's BSN program. One of the largest and most affordable BSN programs available today with a long history of educating nursing professionals.
Featured Sponsored Program
BS - Nursing: RN to BSN
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored for working adults.
Skills, knowledge, and abilities required and used by Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners include:
- Speaking – Talking to others to effectively convey information.
- Service Orientation – Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness – Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react the way they do.
- Reading Comprehension – Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Oral Comprehension – The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Weighing the relative costs and benefits of a potential action.
- Medicine and Dentistry – Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health care measures.
- Biology – Knowledge of plant and animal living tissue, cells, organisms, and entities, including their functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and customer satisfaction evaluation techniques.
- Chemistry – Knowledge of the composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Problem Sensitivity – The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches.
Top Nursing Colleges
Kaplan University - Certification, Associate's & Bachelor's Degree.
Kaplan University has a well respected nursing program for students looking to obtain their degree online. Kaplan is an accredited university with a history of placing students in high-growth nursing careers.
Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - B.S.N.)
Grand Canyon University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and offers nursing degrees at affordable prices. Grand Canyon University allows students to practice what they learn with hands on teaching methods.
Liberty University - Master's Degree.
Liberty University is one of the most respected names in online colleges and provides a variety of online degree plans, including a MSN program. Liberty University makes it possible to earn your entire nursing degree online.