Recent Blog Posts
Nursing Schools by State
Nursing Career Info
Demand for Nurses
Nurses may be the most in-demand health care position in the country.
100 Healthy Celebrity Recipes You Should Have In Your Home
June 17th, 2010
It's tough enough some days to prepare a meal that isn't microwaved, let alone come up with something healthy and filling. That's where these recipes come in. Selected and created by celebrities, they cover everything from chicken to salads to pizzas to desserts, all with a healthy twist.
The most important meal of the day, and your chance to start your morning with a healthy meal.
- Moby's Vegan Blueberry Pancakes: All the taste of regular pancakes, none of the risks.
- Bea Arthur's Good Morning Mushroom-Tomato Toast: A golden way to fix your toast.
- John Feldman's Tofu French Toast: French toast is great but not too good for your waistline. Try this tofu twist instead.
- Bill Goldberg's Jackhammer Soy Slammer: Have you seen how cut this guy is? He knows what he's talking about.
Use these recipes to enjoy your chicken in a healthy way.
- Tom Colicchio's Easy Roasted Chicken: A light way to prepare a classic.
- Heather Mills' Vegan Lemongrass Chicken Style with Coconut Rice: Go vegan for an extra healthy alternative.
- Oprah Winfrey's Citrus Pomegranate Chicken over Whole Wheat Couscous: Oprah's got plenty of experience cooking up healthy recipes, and this chicken is no exception.
- Joni Brosnan's Wild on Chicken: Fresh, fast, and makes a great lunch or dinner.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Quick Roast Chicken and Potatoes: A classic meal gets a healthy upgrade with this recipe.
- Oprah Winfrey's Unfried Chicken: Fried chicken can be, well, pretty horrible for you, so try this revamped version for a healthy change.
- LeAnn Rimes' Cabo Chicken: The country star has a great way to change your chicken.
Like pretty much everything, fish can be prepared in healthy and unhealthy ways. Check out these recipes for smart ways to prepare a light, great meal.
- Emma Bunton's Salmon: The former Spice Girl can cook a mean salmon.
- Myleene Klaas' White Fish and Red Pepper Parcels: A spicy take on a light classic.
- Alicia Keys' Maple Soy Salmon: The R&B singer's salmon recipe is sweet and simple.
- Emeril Lagasse's Salmon with a Pineapple, Mango, and Strawberry Salsa: Recipes like this one are why Emeril's a famous chef and we're his happy customers.
Mexican and South of the Border
These dishes go south of the border but skip the grease and grit.
- Jessica Alba's Chicken Enchiladas: A quintessential Mexican dish with plenty of flavor.
- Alicia Silverstone's Tostadas: Simple and tasty.
- Kevin Nealon's Chickpea Tacos: The former "Saturday Night Live" comedian has a great way to prepare vegetarian tacos.
- Peggy McCay's Vegan Chili: This vegan recipe will warm you up but not weigh you down.
- Linda McCartney's Chili Non Carne: Linda McCartney appears many times on this list, and recipes like her chili non carne are why. A great way to avoid meat and have a good meal.
- Paul McCartney's "Ob-La-Di" Enchiladas: Trade the meat for tofu and enjoy these enchiladas.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Baja Style Shrimp Tacos: Shrimp tacos are a fantastic way to enjoy a light meal that still packs a hearty punch.
- Zoe Saldana's Rice with Pigeon Peas: Zoe Saldana's Dominican and Puerto Rican heritage means she knows a thing or two about healthy ethnic meals, like this rice dish.
- Zoe Saldana's Tostones: This healthy crop is a great supplement to many meals.
We only had room on the list for one burger, but it's a good one.
- Maria Menounos' Mykonos Burger: Ground turkey instead of beef makes this a smart burger choice.
Who doesn't love pasta? These great recipes will let you eat more of the noodle dish you love without worrying about the pounds.
- Giada De Laurentiis' Linguine with Spicy Red Clam Sauce: The popular Food Network host has tons of recipes to her name, and this linguine is a great place to start.
- Dannii Minogue's Spaghetti Neopolitana: A wonderful dish for kids and adults, complete with healthy sauce.
- Marisa Tomei's Farfalle with Pancetta, Rucola and Truffle Pasta: Bowtie pasta is a great way to change up your routine, and this healthy recipe adds truffle and cheeses to the mix.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Thanksgiving Gnocchi: These Italian dumplings are a healthy but delicious treat.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Pesto Pasta with Peas: Pesto adds a new dimension of flavor to this basic pasta recipe.
- Chris Daughtry's Eggplant Involtini with Ricotta and Scallions: The "American Idol" musician has inspired some fantastic, healthy recipes, including this eggplant-based dish.
- Chris Daughtry's Rigatoni with Basil and Gorgonzola: Another light but solid offering.
- Debra Messing's Penne in a Creamy Tomato Sauce: The creamy sauce really makes this noodle dish come to life.
- Natalie Portman's Penne in a Spicy Sauce with Capers and Olives: Once again, it's the kick in the sauce that brings this dish its acclaim.
- Stanley Tucci's Spaghetti with Italian Tuna Sauce: The Italian actor knows a thing or two about food, as this recipe proves.
- Mario Batali's Fettuccine with Pumpkin and Bread Crumbs: The famous chef's take on fettuccine adds new flavors for a healthy meal.
- Oprah Winfrey's Spaghetti al Forno: Whole-grain pasta makes for a tastier, healthier spin on spaghetti.
There's more than just fish in the sea. Check out these healthy celebrity recipes to get some meal ideas.
- Robin Miller's Shrimp in Salsa Verde: The green salsa is a perfect taste match for seafood.
- Ingrid Hoffman's Brandied Shrimp: Brandy and hot sauce are just two of the tangy ingredients that give this shrimp dish such character.
- Leslie Kenton's Grilled Prawns and Rocket Salad: "Rocket" is just the British term for arugula, which mixes nicely with these prawns for a healthy dinner.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Avocado and Crab with Marie Rose Sauce: This crab recipe is great for seafood fans looking for something different.
- Oprah Winfrey's Sea Scallops with Orange and Rosemary: Fruit and herbs add a nice texture to this dish.
Whether you're getting warm on a cold day or just looking for something different, these healthy soup recipes from celebrities are perfect.
- Rocco DiSpirito's Chicken & White Bean Soup with Spinach and Parmesan: A classic take on an all-time favorite, chicken soup.
- Linda McCartney's Avocado and Green Chili Soup: Go green with this hearty avocado soup.
- Casey Kasem's Vegetarian Soup: The iconic radio figure is still around thanks to relying on healthy recipes like this one.
These are great with chips, crackers, or served with sandwiches.
- Alicia Silverstone's Steamy, Creamy Artichoke Dip: The Clueless star offers a great recipe for this all-purpose appetizer.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Beet and Walnut Dip: A zesty complement for chips.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's French Onion Dip: A healthy version of the classic dip for potato chips.
- Heidi Klum's Guacamole: Sweet and spicy, this is a great side for Mexican meals.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Guacamole: Another great version of a fantastic dip.
Vegetables and Salads
This is the biggest section of the list, thanks to the natural healthiness of veggie and salad dishes. Take a look and try one.
- Oprah Winfrey's Ratatouille: Popularized by the Disney/Pixar film, this vegetable dish is a great way to eat healthy.
- Stanley Tucci's Mixed Fried Vegetables: Easy to make and great with just about anything.
- Mario Batali's Steamed Cockles in a Habanero Chive Broth: Leave it to a chef like Batali to breathe new life into something like steamed cockles.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Chicken Salad: This healthy chicken salad recipe makes for fantastic sandwiches.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Cold Soba Noodle Salad: Made from buckwheat flour, soba noodles are a fantastic and healthy alternative to traditional pasta choices.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Farmers Market Salad: Fava beans, baby carrots, and a dressing with dijon mustard are just some of the ingredients of this healthy salad entree.
- Joni Brosnan's "Sorry Charlie" Tuna Salad: Another wonderful sandwich in the making.
- Mario Batali's Broccoli Sauteed in Wine and Garlic: Broccoli's got more zip than you remember, especially if you use this healthy recipe.
- Bobby Flay's Sophie's Chopped Salad: A simple chopped salad that's enough to fill you up.
- Dannii Minogue's Wild Mushroom and White Wine Risotto: The mushrooms give a nice balance to the rice in this Italian dish.
- Bill Maher's Savory Broccolini with Garlic: Like broccoli, but a little different in shape, broccolini makes a great veggie side.
- Alicia Silverstone's Cabbage and Leeks: There are several ways to prepare this dish, but this is one of the healthiest around.
- Emily Deschanel's Seitan Piccata: Instead of chicken, this picatta uses seitan, or wheat gluten.
- Persia White's Fresh Fruit Salad and Black China Rice Bread: Fresh fruit always makes for an easy, tasty meal.
- Rory Freedman's Shepherd's Pie: This mashed potato dish is an English classic.
- Mariana Tosca's Curried Pumpkin Apple Bisque: You can also use a variety of squash in this warm, healthy treat.
- Linda McCartney's Asparagus with Garlic: Simple and worthwhile.
- Linda McCartney's Sautee of Sweet Potatoes: A hearty entree full of vitamins and nutrients.
- Linda McCartney's Creamy Vegetable Pie: This veggie pie is a great treat year-round depending on what you use as the filling.
- Linda McCartney's Fennel Salad: Fennel in an herb packed with flavor, which makes it great in salads.
- Marisa Tomei's Autumn Vegetables with Goat Cheese and Pumpkin-Seed Oil: A great fall and holiday side dish.
- Oprah Winfrey's Quinoa Salad with Beets: Quinoa is an uncommon salad choice in the U.S., but it's a tasty and healthy one.
- Alicia Silverstone's Root Vegetable Cassoulet: The rich mix of veggies in this stew make it a tasty, healthy choice.
- Jonathan Safran Foer's Fall Vegetable and Orzo Casserole: Foer is known for his vegetarian views, and his casserole is an example of how to eat healthy if you want to stay away from animals.
- Boy George's Chick Pea Corruption: The flamboyant singer's chick pea recipe makes for good eats.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Vietnamese Salad: Crunchy, fresh, and an ideal light lunch.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Black Beans: The hearty side dish can double as an entree if you want.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Homemade Vegetable Sushi: It doesn't get much fresher than sushi.
- Tamra Davis' Egg Salad: Just a hard-boiled egg and some mayo, but it makes a healthy, sweet lunch.
- Tamra Davis' Quiche: Use lighter cheeses to get the most out of this easy quiche recipe.
- Melina Kanakaredes' Stuffed Grape Leaves with Avgolemono: Stuffed grape leaves make for a special meal that's big on taste but not at all heavy.
These pizza recipes are fantastic for pie lovers who want to go healthy.
- Nadine Coyle's Vegetarian Mini Pizzas: A veggie pizza gives you all the taste with none of the potentially harmful meat products.
- Oprah Winfrey's Cornmeal Crust Pizza with Greens and Ricotta: The alternative ingredients in this pizza make for a unique taste experience.
Simple, clean, light, and a great choice for everything from lunch at the office to an easy dinner at home.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Turkey Wrap Bites: A cute remake of a classic sandwich.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's AB+J Sandwich: These simple sandwiches of jam and almond butter are a smart way to start your kids on a healthy path.
- Tamra Davis' Grilled Cheese Sandwich: One of the all-time childhood classics, as good as ever.
- Debra Messing's Grilled Mozzarella Sandwiches: An upscale version of a basic meal.
Desserts and Snacks
Who said healthy food had to be boring?
- Natalie Portman's Sicilian Chickpea Fritters: A healthy version of an old favorite.
- Alicia Silverstone's Peanut Buttery Crispy Rice Treats: Add some peanut butter to this kids' treat for a new taste that's still healthy.
- Linda McCartney's Chocolate Delight: Sure, it's chocolate, but it's good in low doses, right? Plus it's vegetarian.
- Kate Pierson's Cosmic Carrot Cake: A wonderful, unique taste.
- Emily Deschanel's Vegan Cookies: Vegan cookies don't use any animal products, so you know you're getting a healthy, life-conscious alternative.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Homemade Granola Bars: Good for sack lunches or late nights.
- Joni Brosnan's Parfait: A simple treat that's great for kids and adults alike.
- Chris Daughtry's Cherry Jam Tart: The rocker inspired this sweet tart.
- Debra Messing's Chocolate Hazelnut Fritters: It's almost hard to believe these chocolate hazelnut delights are healthy, but they are.
- Stanley Tucci's Chocolate Cake: Yet another awesome chocolate dish that's not as bad for you as you think.
- Sara Ramirez's Key Lime Pie: Key lime pie makes a sweet summertime dessert.
- Natalie Portman's Orange Tart Capri-Style: This citrus-flavored dessert uses everything from brown sugar to orange liqueur to achieve its flavor.
- Mario Batali's Saffron Panna Cotta: This sweet dessert can be served chilled in a wine glass or scooped out onto a dish.